The last phase of the geothermal installation is finally complete, starting last Sunday to the finishing touches on Friday.
The first part was done by me on Sunday afternoon, starting with a pristine hall closet door.
Monday morning the crew started dismantling the old furnace.
The first piece to be installed was the circulating pump (on the left hand side of the wall) which attaches to the ground loops. They also insulated below the old shelf, which apparently was essentially open to attic air. Now the closet is well sealed and will draw air from the house instead of the attic.
Meanwhile outside, the pipes are connected to the pipe purger. Ten gallons of antifreeze is added to the big blue tank and enough water to top it off. Then the pump is started to circulate the fluid through the well, purge the air and top off the pipes.
The well loops are done separately from the furnace first. Then once he’s assured the pipes are purged, he added the furnace pipes into the loop and purged them as well.
Something’s missing here…Woo hoo, no air conditioner! It won’t stay that clean though.
The next day, they insulated the pipes and encapsulated the pipes and purge valves with this insulated chimney. It’s a bit of an eyesore, but it’s on the side of the house that is not often seen. Eventually I’ll be building a trellis to shade that side of the house and grow kiwi vines, and we can paint the top to blend it in better.
Most the day Tuesday was spent adding a sub-panel in the closet, wiring the furnace, building the conduit from the furnace to the original outflow pipe, installing the drain, installing the thermostat, and setting all the dip switches. Friday was just a touch up day, insulating the attic pipes and resecuring the pump to the wall, and that’s it! Simple as that! Seven full days over three weeks. The front lawn is still a mess but the water hasn’t receded yet to do the final landscaping. The closet door is on order and should arrive in a couple of weeks.
Now that it’s installed, we haven’t had to use it. The weather has been perfect, and we haven’t needed heating or cooling. We did test it of course and it was incredibly quiet. It’ll be even more quiet when we install the new door.