While waiting for my cabinets to be installed, I prepared the floor for the new tile. But, just as I was about to put down some self-leveling compound in the mudroom, I got a call from our installer saying he’d be ready to start on Monday. That gave me a day and a half to finish the demolition of the kitchen.
We started just after lunch on Saturday and I worked until dinner time, getting the last of the dishes moved and tearing out the peninsula. The most tedious part was chiseling up the mortar left after lifting the tiles.
On Sunday, I again started at noon, after I ran the last load of dishes in the dishwasher. The last cabinets were a little more problematic. The hot water valve wouldn’t shut off completely, so we put in a call to our plumber to have it replaced, but of course this is a holiday weekend, and he won’t be able to come out until mid-week. Until then, we turn on the hot water as needed for showers.
The other problem was mold, and a lot of it. Luckily, I had enough scraps of drywall to replace everything on the kitchen side. However, after tearing out the kitchen side, I discovered the utility room side was rotten as well, so that repair will have to wait until I have room to work in the garage again.
Today, Monday, the installer arrived right on time and he was impressed with my tear out. The base cabinets are going in as I write this. Hooray!!