We’ve had a sagging spot in the roof for quite some time now, and we’ve made numerous attempt to find a roofing contractor. Most of the time, they never called back. It hadn’t been that big a problem because we’d had no rain, but when we finally did, it came pouring through the garage ceiling, onto my band saw. This repair moved to the top of our priority list.
Friends of ours had some roofing done after a big hail storm, and on their recommendation, I called the company they’d used. Someone came out the very next day, to look at the problem, deduce what caused it, and lay out a plan to fix it. I was pleased. He said he’d call the next day with an estimate. That was in September. A couple of weeks went by, and I called the company back. Apologies were given and promises were made to call me back with an estimate. Another two weeks went by, and another rain storm, which luckily caused no further damage to my tools, since I had moved everything out of the way and set a wide and deep plastic tote on the floor to catch the leaking rain.
I decided to give the company one last chance, as we’d been unable to get any other recommendations. This time, success. The boss came out within a couple of hours, laid out roughly the same repair plan, and gave me an estimate on the spot. It looked reasonable, so I signed it on the spot. That was on a Monday.
I was pleasantly surprised to get a call on the Wednesday telling me they’d be able to start on the Friday. It put a crimp in my weekends plans to attend the Oklahoma Ornithological Society’s fall meeting, but I wasn’t about to say no since we were expecting more rain on the Saturday night.
The problem that caused the decking to rot was rain running straight through the knot holes of the chimney siding. Apparently the siding was nailed to the framing, with no waterproofing behind it. So the first thing they did was strip off all the rotten wood and assess what needed to be replaced.
Then they built a box around the chimney framing, and put new, properly supported (what a concept) decking. Apparently the old patch was being held in place by the roofing nail. Oh, did I mention this problem had been repaired before? And, as is usually the case with this abused house, the repair had been ill-conceived and poorly executed. By the end of day one, the house was closed in again, so we wouldn’t have critters taking up residence in our attic, there was a pile of debris in the driveway, and all the material was bought to finish the job.
The next day, house wrap was applied, roof felting, and lots of flashing. The new siding, even if a knot popped out, would not leak.
By the end of day two, with three people working, the job was still not complete, but it was weatherproof, and none too soon. We got an inch of rain that night and not a drop made it to my catch basin in the garage.
The carpenter returned, eventually, the next Tuesday, to finish the siding and the painting. He was going to come back on the Sunday, but I pointed out that the wood would need a chance to dry before they stained it. (It also gave me a chance to pick up a can of contrasting stain for the trim; the stain was so weathered the contrast was no longer obvious)
It took the carpenter another seven hours, with the help of his wife, to finish the job. I must say, it does look really good. Not that I cared terribly, but the shingles are a pretty good match too. I just wanted a leak proof roof, and they gave me that, along with a spiffy new chimney. Money well spent, and I didn’t have to climb a ladder! I’m pretty handy with a hammer and saw, but I’m terrified of getting off a ladder onto the roof (not scared of heights, just the ladder). That was one job I was not going to do myself. I’m so glad we finally found a contractor to fix it.