I had a busy week this week. I started out finishing the prep work for the professional installers, and buying all the construction materials we were going to need, then removed all the floor tiles. I’ve done a couple of postings already this week, showing what the professionals got done on Wednesday and Thursday. They did a great job and I can say with confidence that the repairs to the wall are complete. On Friday, I got to work doing the wiring for the new light fixtures. I had to install a new junction box in the attic, and after crawling through the attic with all my equipment, I realized it would be impossible to reach. The wire ran atop the outer wall, of course, so there wasn’t much room to begin with considering the slope of the roof, and to top it off, there was a hanging duct right where I needed to be. I didn’t want to deal with the contortions I’d have to go through to get access to the wires from above, since I’d have to crawl around the other side of the duct on my belly, so I cut through the ceiling and installed it j-box in the attic from below. I like to double check my wiring joints, especially since I knew it would be difficult to reach once the ceiling was repaired, so I temporarily installed the light fixture to test it. So, you get a partial sneak peek at the light bar. Let there be light!
After making sure of the wiring and sealing any potential gaps around my patches with foam, I put in R-19 insulation in the walls making sure I squeezed it in behind the pipes. There should be no chance of the pipes freezing now. The air gaps are sealed, the pipes are insulated, and new thicker insulation is in the walls.
The last thing I did on Friday, was finish removing the stem wall. Not an easy job. I was grateful for my Sawzall and my 4 foot crowbar.
On Saturday, I took the broken floor tiles and the last of the construction debris to the dump. I was able to salvage a lot of the wood, but some of the wood, no surprise, was rotten. Once I seal up the walls, I’ll vacuum and wash the floors to get rid of any lingering mold spores.
On Sunday I hung the drywall. It took the whole day, and it was messy, but I got it done, including putting the new corner braces on the shortened stem wall.
This week: mudding, priming and painting. I’m also going to use up the leftover clay from the dining room wall for the ceiling. Installing the clay on the ceiling will be hard on my back, but the results should be spectacular: a sky blue ceiling with a bright sun (solatube sky light) in the middle. I picked out the wall color on Saturday. It’s called “Full Moon”. It’ll be a nice change from the camouflage color palette currently in the bathroom. So plenty of work still ahead, but there’ll be paint drying time to get other things done like building the counter top, buying the sinks, picking up my new tile, and maybe squeezing in some gardening and agility practice. If all goes as planned the cabinets might be installed next weekend, if not, then certainly next week.