Last weekend I installed the toilet in the newly renovated bathroom (some assembly required). It took me until Wednesday morning at 11 AM to finish all the details: hanging the towel bars, tissue holder and curtain rod (which required a diamond drill bit), buying the accessories, framing prints for the wall, installing all the new faucets and bathtub trim, painting the door and door trim. But, it’s done! We now have a functional guest bathroom and I finished it just in time for the unveiling at our Solstice housewarming party. So here it is!
First, the toilet alcove. The original toilet was tucked into the alcove, with the tank up against the hall wall, or the right hand side of photo where exposed pipes can still be seen. We had the toilet drain moved so that the toilet could be turned 90 degrees and moved away from the walls. We installed a new Sterling dual flush toilet, to save water. The exposed pipes, which actually jut from the wall, will be hidden by a built in magazine rack (I still have to design that). The door used to open to the right, now it opens to the left. The prints I’ve had on hand for years but never had any place to hang them. As it turns out their colors complement the bathroom colors beautifully, so I framed them in simple frames, similar to that of the mirror. I had to drill through the tile again to install the tissue holder and my new diamond drill bit performed perfectly.
Next, the sink and vanity. The mirror on the wall is a remnant of the four mirrors that previously covered the walls. I had a professional remove the mirrors and cut a piece to fit the frame I had purchased. The sconces are new, replacing an ugly brass vanity light. The original light hung from a soffit over the vanity, but my new reciprocal saw took care of that. I kept the original sink but installed it with a new faucet into a new vanity. The vanity base was bought at a builder’s supply store. I cut off the the kickboard, installed new supports and attached the new feet. I made the vanity top using three pieces if red oak, a fun day when I used my planer, jointer, circular saw, jigsaw, hand drill, router and palm sander.
Finally, the tub and shower. We had to have the water pipes moved from other side of the bathroom (beacause they ran under the jacuzzi tub along the floor) and a new shower pipe installed. I built a new wall to frame the tub, beyond that wall will be a linen closet (it hasn’t arrived yet). The curtain rod is curved, allowing more space in the shower (again I had to use the diamond drill bit to install it). I had the shower head installed at 6′ 8″ instead of the standard 6′ to accomodate tall visitors and the addition of the shower diverter for Odo’s bath sprayer. The photo below shows the chair rail tiles in detail, which were my inspiration for the whole bathroom.
So there you have it, on time and under budget! With a functional guest bathroom, we can now take reservations from any friends and family who want visit. Operators are standing by!